Conditions for project profitability
To achieve a payback period of no more than five years (without any subsidies), a biogas project must meet the following criteria:
1. Handle sufficient waste to produce power for at least 1 MW or 4 million cubic metres of biogas per year.
Economically sound biogas projects can be implemented:
• On pig farms with at least 70,000 animals.
• On cattle farms with at least 8000 animals.
• On poultry farms with at least 1 million animals.
• In meat processing plants producing at least 80 tons of slaughterhouse waste per day.
• At distilleries producing at least 130 tons of waste per day.
• At sugar refineries producing at least 220 tons of waste per day.
• At breweries producing at least 150 tons of waste per day.
• In urban water treatment facilities serving at least 300,000 people and producing at least 150 tons of waste from sewage sludge per day.
• On grain waste of over 30 tons per day.
2. Guaranteed continuous sales of electricity or biomethane produced (from 3 roubles (0.07 euros) per 1 kW).
3. Guaranteed, uninterrupted supply of waste for BSU for recycling on a contractual basis.
• Need for the enterprise to allocate installed capacity.
• Presence of environmental problems (high emission charges or disposal costs, a significant amount of waste).
• Guaranteed demand for thermal energy.
• Presence of the most profitable types of waste - sewage, fats, organic waste, grain waste, food industry waste from cheese, sugar, starch, breweries and slaughterhouses.